Welcome

I wanted this blog to be about my family's experience with my son's Type 1 Diabetes. My family is more than just diabetes, but I want this blog to be focused on how it affects our family. I hope other T1D parents find it helpful, and that my family and friends find it informative.

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Thanks Papa

I know that I have this need to explain myself to others.  I need to be validated by others.  I don't like this, but over and over I find myself seeking validation (not approval, but understanding).  I am really surprised this is such an issue for me, considering my professional life... but it is.
The other day Johnny's BG was all over the place and I was searching desperately for a "why."  I like to talk to my Dad (Johnny's Papa) about this kind of thing, his brain works much like mine and he is a T2D (Type 2 Diabetic).  I was going over the numbers, the BG, the Carbs, the insulin units, the time between meals, and so on... "The Data."  Finally he said the simplest truth. "I think you have a complete handle on the things you can control, the carbs, and the correct insulin dose.  You just can't control other factors like his hormones."  (I am paraphrasing)

It didn't matter how obvious this statement was, I needed to hear it.  It actually did lift some of the pressure to control Johnny's numbers.  I can only control "some" of the factors that effect his blood sugar, and I control those factors very well. 

Thank you Dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment